100 DAYS OF INACTION!
It's been over 100 days since the federal government announced in its 2018 / 2019 budget that it was finally going to take some action to address the critical need to improve pension protection in insolvency. While the budget line was nothing more than a lukewarm promise to consult, it was progress. We thought.
Since then, CARP and its partners - including Pionairs Pension Sub-Committee - have had informal hallway conversations with politicians and bureaucrats about next steps, but nothing more. No concrete steps have been taken to address the risks that face far too many corporate pensioners. After 100 days, there is no excuse for their inaction.
The time is up.
In a matter of weeks, thousands of Sears pensioners will see their pensions slashed, while millions of other Canadians remain at risk. Our retirees deserve better.
CARP and its coalition partners - including Air Canada Pionairs Pension Sub-Committee - has been calling on the government to legislate super-priority status for unfunded pension liabilities. If a company goes bankrupt, pensioners should be paid first! But the government has failed to act.
We must pressure our politicians to do what's right.
If you believe retirees deserve better treatment, e-mail your MP to demand super-priority for pensioners now.
CARP has provided a simple method to email a letter to your MP. CLICK HERE. On the new page, click on EMAIL YOUR MP, then enter your first name, last name, email address and postal code (no spaces) in the box provided. Adding your postal code will automatically address your email to the MP for your area.
We recommend adding your name and location (e.g. John Doe, My town, My province.)
IF YOU RUN INTO PROBLEMS:
- Find your MP here: http://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members
- Click on their picture and look for their email address
- Click on their email address to open your email message form
- cc: Justin.firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to see the text for Dear MP. Highlight and copy.
- Paste the text into your email form
- Add your name, City and Province at the bottom and Send.
Air Canada Pionairs Stories
There are many reasons retirees choose to join Pionairs:
- keeping in touch with past work acquaintances
- meeting new friends
- learning about our Pension Committee activity
- learning new computer applications
- reading regular updates in the Alliance
- attending coffee meetings and special events in various Districts
- accessing the Pionairs website
- and garnering full Membership support from subject matter experts.
We have produced 4 videos (2 English and 2 French) of Pionairs members and their story of how joining Pionairs became their next chapter after retirement.
Please share these videos with Air Canada retirees who have not yet joined Pionairs. We’d love to welcome them to the next chapter in their lives! Simply click on the "Click here to join the Pionairs" button on the right.
And remember, the retiree’s spouse/partner will also enjoy the many benefits of membership including Pionairs helping Pionairs.