Michael is a native Albertan and joined Air Canada in 1978 in Calgary. He worked in reservations for two years and then transferred to the airport as a Customer Service Agent.
For several years, he went to school during the day and worked the late shift at the airport in order to earn his degree in Psychology and Sociology. After that, he became an Airports Instructor in Calgary and finally an Instructional Designer reporting to Montreal and responsible for “above the wing” training programs. During the 1990’s, Michael was also an instructor at Mount Royal University teaching the Travel and Tourism curriculum for continuing education students.
He retired from Air Canada in 2007 and worked for WestJet in Calgary as Manager, Learning and Development Airports, and then finally, Manager, Learning and Development Instructional Design. In 2014, he moved to the Calgary Airport Authority as Manager, Terminal Integration Project to lead the training for the new international terminal. That project ended in December 2016, just in time for Michael to attend his first ever Pionairs Christmas luncheon in Calgary. During that luncheon, he was offered and accepted the position of Membership Coordinator for the Pionairs Southern Alberta District.
At home in Calgary, Michael also volunteers with his Strata Council and is currently Communications Director for the Southern Alberta District.
Duties – Director, Training
· This position reports to the Vice President
· Research and provide training opportunities for areas of interest to Pionairs members
· Create course content and learning outcomes
· Liaise with training providers and contractors to present on-line courses
· Coordinate with Director, Communications and Director, Digital Media to publish and post courses via email
distribution and website
· Liaise with other training organizations to develop and provide content
· Conduct post-course surveys to determine effectiveness and value to members
· Provide a monthly summary for Executive Board showing course attendees and notable comments from members