"Deedee" Lannon was born in Gander, Nl. After high school, she attended the Gander campus if the Trades and Technology School and St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Ns. Before starting work with Air Canada in 1969 as Secretary. In 1970, she moved to St. John's and worked in the Cargo office before becoming secretary for the Airport Customer Service Manager. In 1973, she moved back to Gander as a Passenger Agent, moved back to St.John's in 1980, subsequently moving to Toronto, Edmonton, and Charlottetown before moving back to St. John's and retiring in 2001 when she became a member of the Pionairs.
She served on the local executive and became District Director in 2007, a position she still holds. In 2013, she was offered and accepted the position of Director, Publicity and Benefits on the National Executive under President Jacques Levesque and continued this role under President Val Jurkovic. In 2017, she was offered and accepted the position of 1st Vice President under President Val Jurkovic.
Besides her volunteer work with the Pionairs, she is Past Chair of her Condo Board, , served on a Patient Advisory Panel for inflammatory Arthritis for a national drug company, volunteered with the Girl Guides of Canada, the Arthritis Society, , the East Coast Music Awards, Festival 500, Wreckhouse Jazz and Blues Festival, Music NL, NL Folk Festival, school tutoring program and is a Cultural Ambassador for The Rooms.
Duties – President
- Responsible for the administration of Air Canada Pionairs.
- Responsible to the membership for the management and operation of the organization.
- Functions as the official liaison between the organization and Air Canada.
- Attends meeting(s) with AC Travel and AC Group Benefits once per year.
- Approves disbursement of organization funds;
- Along with the Treasurer has primary signing authority on all Bank Accounts
- Calls and presides over all official meetings of the Executive Board and the organization;
- Appoints all Directors-at-Large and define their duties as necessary
- Appoints all Committees and define their duties as necessary;
- Serves as an ex-officio member on the Pension and Benefit Sub-Committee
- Shall exercise the powers and perform the duties which are normally the responsibility of the chief administrator.
- Report to the membership on the activities of the organization and on future plans at least once each calendar year at the Annual Pionairs Conference.
- Acts as the presiding officer at the APC.